Recently, I did 60 + illustrations for the kids’ picture book Phoebe and Ito are dogs by nationally-known writer John Yamrus.
The time I spent (mainly in 2018) creating these illustrations was such fun–because I love dogs, and I love drawing and painting dogs. As I was doing the illustrations, I communicated pretty often with John Yamrus and found him superb at collaborating. He had input into every picture in this book; my illustrations benefited from that input.
Before and during the time when I was working on Phoebe and Ito are dogs, I did a lot of sketches of various dogs, some of which evolved into the final illustrations for the book. I would scan the sketch into the computer; I’d then paint it, using Photoshop.
Phoebe and Ito are dogs is a story about two cocker spaniels, sister and brother. They are just normal dogs who enjoy chasing rabbits, watching squirrels, and searching for sticks; however, Phoebe thinks she’s a princess, never a dog. It’s a story about embracing your own nature and living up to your full potential.
The picture book Phoebe and Ito are dogs by John Yamrus / illustrated by Mish makes a great gift for a dog lover, a kid, and yourself.
To check out or purchase Phoebe and Ito are dogs for only $10, follow this link: http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/john-yamrus/phoebe-and-ito-are-dogs/paperback/product-24183658.html
Cultural Weekly did a three-part feature on Phoebe and Ito are dogs:
- For a look at Mish’s mixed media art, see: https://www.culturalweekly.com/mixed-media-artist-mish-lets-dogs/
- For reviews of Phoebe and Ito are dogs, see:
- (review by Rob Plath) https://www.culturalweekly.com/review-phoebe-ito-dogs-john-yamrus-illustrated-mish/
- See also (review by Mark A. Murphy) https://mishmurphy.com/
- For an interview of Mish (by Arya F. Jenkins), see: https://www.culturalweekly.com/for-the-love-of-dogs/